This Mediterranean Baked Cod is a tasty and healthy dish sure to be a hit with the whole family! It is the perfect first fish recipe for your weaning baby. The delicious tomato, pepper and basil sauce also makes for a great finger food dip for a fun baby led weaning meal. Be sure to use our Starter Weaning Set to help ensure you portion correctly for baby.
Cod is the best first fish for you baby as it is milder to taste and has fewer bones*. It is packed with easily digested protein and is bursting with B-Vitamins too! Flake the cod between your index finger and thumb before serving to ensure no small bones.
*Although it contains less bones, it is still essential to thoroughly check the fish for bones.
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 portions
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tomatos, quatered
2 red peppers, roughly chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 fillets skinless cod
Juice from half a lemon
Handful of basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a roasting tray with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the tomatoes and peppers to the roasting tray. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar on top and then bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the cod fillets on top of the tomato and pepper mix. Top with lemon juice and the rest of the olive oil.
- Add the basil leaves and return to the oven. Bake everything for a further 15 minutes, until the fish is cooked through.
- Transfer all the cooked vegetables to a food processor and blend to make the sauce.
- Flake in your fish, ensuring all bones are removed. Serve with your choice of rice, quinoa or pasta.
- For a baby not able for texture, you can blend the fish with the vegetables.
Weaning and Storage
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.