Our Beef Tagine is such an easy, tasty dish to prepare and is one that all the family will definitely enjoy! Packed full of flavour, and goodness it’s a perfect for the slow cooker as well as the oven. It’s super easy to adapt this dish for a baby, just shred the beef and mash the vegetables to the consistency needed.
Makes 4 adult portions
900g lean beef, cubed
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp plain flour
Salt & pepper (omit salt for baby)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp gound cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne pepper
600ml low salt chicken stock
1 small butternut squash, peel, deseeded and cubed
3 red peppers, deseeded and chopped into strips
- Preheat the oven to 150 C. Toss the beef in the cumin, then the flour and make sure it is evenly coated. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large oven proof pan and cook the beef in batches for 10 minutes until evenly browned.
- Reduce the heat, then add the onion and spices, stir well to coat, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the stock on top, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, season, cover with a lid, and put in the oven for 1 ½ hours.
- Add the butternut squash and peppers and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve straight away with rice or couscous.
How to Freeze:
Allow the dish to cool, portion into your pots, transfer to the fridge and then to the freezer.
How to adapt for baby
6m+ - Getting used to new textures:
Blend to your desired consistency Freeze curry without the rice.
8m+ - As a textured purée
Shred the beef and mash vegetables to desired consistency