The Brussels Sprout is a food kids love to hate but introduced early in the weaning stage your baby is more likely to accept the taste. Packed full of antioxidants, this purée is the perfect baby food for your little one. Offer as a dip for finger foods such as Homemade Oatcakes.
Brussels sprouts are in season during winter and spring; buy them at this time as they're fresh and taste better! Choose smaller sprouts as larger ones can be bitter and unpleasant tasting. Reject any with yellow or loose leaves, or leaves that are not tightly packed.
Cook time: 10 minutes
Makes: 6 x 60ml / 2oz portions
15 small Brussels sprouts
100g peas, fresh or frozen
3 sprigs flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Remove the outer leaves from the sprouts and cut off the base.
- Prepare your steamer and add the sprouts.
- After about 10 minutes, add the peas and parsley and cook until just tender.
- Drain and pulse the vegetables in a food processor until smooth. Add cooking water to help blend, if needed.
- Store portions in your weaning pots and freeze extras for future use.
Weaning and Storage
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.