Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients – this chicken tikka masala recipe is in fact quick and easy.
Make a big batch on the weekend so that you can enjoy this tasty dish any day of the week.
Note: If you want to double up the recipe, measurements are in brackets
Cook time: 22 minutes
Makes: 2 Adult portions + 2 Child portions
For the marinade:
4 (8) large chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 (2) tsp garma masala
½ (1) fresh chili, finely chopped - vein and seeds removed
1 (2) clove(s) of garlic, minced
1 (2) tbsp tomato puree
1 (2) tsp ground ginger
½ (1) tsp ground coriander
1 (2) tsp paprika
2 (4) tbsp olive oil
1 (2) green pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 (2) red pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 (2) onion, sliced into thin strips
1 (2) tsp ground cinnamon
1-2 (2-3) tbsp ground cumin
2 (4) tbsp turmeric
2 (4) tbsp paprika
2 (4) tbsp garma masala
½ (1) tbsp mild chili powder
2 (4) x400g tinned tomatoes
1 (2) cup(s) of natural yogurt - for this recipe we used Live Yogurt which went down a treat with the kids
Salt to taste
1 tbsp of honey to taste (leave out if making for baby; it is always recommended to add a small bit of sugar to take away the tart taste of tomatoes, however, this is entirely optional)
- In a bowl combine all of the marinade ingredients, add the chicken, ensuring each piece is covered in the marinade. Set aside for 20 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- In a large pan heat some olive oil and seal off the chicken, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan sauté the onions & peppers for 3-4 minutes until the onions have become translucent and the peppers have begun to soften.
- Add the spices to the onions and peppers, mix thoroughly and continue cook for a further 2-3 minutes before adding the tinned tomatoes.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and add in the chicken, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chicken has cooked through.
- Stir in the yogurt and taste for seasoning before serving.
Weaning and Storage
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.