This dish is a one pot wonder! It's super simple to make and makes a lovely comfort food dinner! Orzo is a fab pasta for all the family – a rice shaped pasta, it also provides a lovely texture for a weaning baby.
Makes 4 Adult Portions
4 skinless chicken breasts
1½ tsp paprika
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt (omit for baby)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
4 mushrooms, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
250g orzo pasta
1 handful flat-leaf parsley leaves roughly chopped
500ml low salt chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Mix all your spices in a bowl add chicken and coat evenly. Leave for around 10 minutes or prepare ahead of time.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large oven-proof pan over a medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Set the chicken aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry off the vegetables until soft.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, squeeze the lemon over the chicken and vegetables and add 100ml of the stock.
- Place in the oven with the lid on for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the rest of the stock, orzo pasta and the chopped parsley. Return to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes with the lid off.
How to Freeze:
Allow the dish to cool, portion into your pots, transfer to the fridge and then to the freezer.
How to adapt for baby
6m+ - Getting used to new textures:
Its best never to blend pasta as it is starchy. Remove the vegetables and chicken. To start blend one part chicken to 3 part vegetables until your child accepts the new texture. Mix with the orzo pasta and enjoy.
8m+ - As a textured purée
Shred the chicken and mash the vegetables mixing together with the pasta to form a textured (no lump) purée.
9m+ - lumpy purée
Shred the chicken and mix together with the soft vegetables and pasta.