These turkey sausage rolls are a great alternative to traditional sausage rolls. Everyone, including your weaning baby will love the subtle sweetness from the apples! They make a great finger food for the whole family and can be baked from fresh or frozen for a quick and tasty treat! Batch cook and freeze in a 16oz or 24oz Pot from the Family Portion Set. Team with some Tomato Sauce for dipping for a perfect baby led weaning treat.
Cook time: 25-35 minutes
Makes: 8 Rolls
2 small apples
300g quality minced turkey
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and grated
2 tbsp flour or breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried thyme
1 pack puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Remove the pastry from the freezer and set on the counter top to soften.
- Peel, core and chop the apples. Add to a saucepan with 100ml of water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Blend the apples and cooking water in a food processor to form a smooth, thick purée. Add more water as required.
- Add the other ingredients to the food processor. Blend for 20 seconds, until everything is combined.
- Roll out the pastry and cut it in half length ways to form two long strips.
- Spoon the filling evenly down the middle of each pastry strip.
- Fold the pastry over the filling and seal with your hands or a fork. Brush with egg and cut each roll in 8 pieces.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until crispy, golden and thoroughly cooked. Allow to cool before serving.
- Offer to your baby as a finger food to self-feed. you can place it in their hand, or chop into bite size pieces.