Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food the whole family can enjoy. This recipe makes a delicious pie that's suitable for everyone, including your weaning baby.
Serve this tasty shepherd's pie for a satisfying lunch or dinner anytime of the week. This is also perfect as a school lunch for the kids and is great stored in one of our Food Flasks.
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes: 4 Adult portions
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
500g quality minced lamb
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp tomato purée
300ml low salt vegetable stock
Small handful of fresh thyme
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 parsnips, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp butter
Small handful of Cheddar, grated
1-2 tbsp full fat milk
Large handful of frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Soften the onion and carrots for a few minutes. Turn up the heat. Add the lamb and brown.
- Mix in the cinnamon and tomato purée then fry fro a few minutes. Add the stock and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C. Steam the potatoes and parsnips for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Mash them together. Mix in the butter, cheese and milk.
- Stir the peas into the mince. Portion out into oven-proof dishes. Pipe on the mash and top with a few more peas.
- For immediate use, bake the pies for 20-25 minutes, until the top starts to brown and the mince bubbles through at the edges. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving. To keep the pies for a later date, chill and freeze them.
- For a baby not able for texture, blend the meat with the vegetables, and add the mashed potato before serving.
Weaning and Storage
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.