Here's a fun, Christmas recipe to get you and your family into the festive spirit! Remember waffles can be prepared ahead of time frozen and then simply place the waffle in the toaster to reheat. If you do not have a waffle machine you can make these as pancakes.
You can use green food dye if you have older kids. But for a baby I would recommend you make it yourself. Check out our recipe for homemade green food dye below!
- Preheat your waffle machine or frying pan if making pancakes.
- Whisk together the flour, milk and egg to make a smooth batter. Add in your green food dye. If the colour hasn’t changed significantly add more.
- Pour a ladle of the mixture in the centre of the waffle maker and spread a little to the sides. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favourite toppings.
How to make homemade green food dye
- In a small saucepan over a medium heat, add your spinach and enough water to cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and discard the cooking liquid.
- Add the spinach to a blender and add 3 tbsp of water and blend on high. Add more water 1 tbsp at a time if needed.
- Strain and allow to cool.