This butternut squash risotto is creamy and delicious and is perfect for a weaning baby who is able for some texture - just make sure to add low salt stock.
Risotto is a favourite of mine and I love how it can be easily changed by adding different vegetables and fish each time. Introduce it to your family and it will soon become a very handy mid-week addition!
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 Adult portions
1 butternut squash, halved and de-seeded
2 tbsp olive oil
2 knobs unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp dried oregano
250g Arborio Rice
1 litre low salt vegetable stock
100g Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the butternut squash, cut side up, on a roasting tray. Drizzle 1 tbsp of the olive oil and dot 1 knob of the butter over the squash. Roast for 40 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Remove the skin and blend to a purée.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan, then simmer.
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and oregano. Cook until soft.
- Stir the rice into the onions. Continue frying gently until the rice is opaque, but not browned.
- Add in the stock a ladle-full at a time. Wait until all the stock has been absorbed by the rice before adding another ladle. Stir continuously. This takes about 20 minutes.
- Mix in the squash purée and cheese. For a baby not able for texture, blend the risotto before serving.
Weaning and Storage
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.