This puree is the perfect baby food for your weaning baby. Butternut squash makes a great first food for baby due to its natural sweetness and smooth texture once pureed.
Adding lentils provides a good source of protein and is a wonderful addition to this puree. This recipe is also ideal as a baby led weaning meal for your little one - just introduce as a finger food for baby to pick up and self feed.
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Makes: 5 x 90ml / 3oz
250g butternut squash
50g red lentils*
Low salt vegetable stock (enough to cover)
*Note it is a good idea to soak your lentils for about ½ hour before use. Lentils do not need pre-soaking but can be pre-soaked to improve digestibility making it easier for smaller children.
- Peel, de-seed and cube your squash.
- Place your cubed squash into a small saucepan with the lentils and add enough stock to just cover everything.
- Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until the butternut squash and lentils are soft.
- When cooked, blend to your desired consistency. Add more stock if making into a soup.
- Store portions in your weaning pots and freeze extras for future use.
Weaning and Storage
4-6 months – Blended to Runny Puree
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.