In the summer, I love finding creative ways to use the wide variety of seasonal fruits, like strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries, that are so fresh and delicious during summertime. This quick and easy Berry and Almond Bake is perfect from May to August, but can also be made just as enjoyable with frozen berries during the other months. You’ll be shocked at how easy it is to make a nutritious and delicious dessert that your whole family will love! It’s healthy enough to serve as a breakfast treat as well.
Serves: 6 Adults
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
360ml full fat milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp butter, melted
3 apples, steamed and puréed
180g porridge oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt (omit for baby)
400g mixed berries, fresh or frozen
40g almonds, chopped
Maple syrup, to top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, vanilla extract and butter until combined. Stir in the apple purée.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Spread half the berries over the bottom of an 8x8 glass baking dish. Add dry mixture evenly over the berries, then pour in the wet mixture. Top with the remaining berries and chopped almonds.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- For a baby that is able for texture, allow to self-feed.