With the on-going outbreak of Salmonella food poisoning in Dublin, it is important to be vigilant and take steps to ensure your kids’ school lunch is cooked and packed safely. Amidst the mad morning school rush, it can be easy to overlook the safety of a packed lunch, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Food poisoning such as Salmonella happens when bacteria get into food or drinks. When the bacteria gets into a person’s immune system, they can cause cramps, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Symptoms usually appear within a few hours after being infected and most people recover quickly too.
With the summer months bringing in warmer weather, make sure to follow these tips and protect your child from food poisoning.
Ways to Keep Your Child’s Lunch Safe
Cleanliness is extremely important when it comes to preparing food for your kids, so follow our guidelines below for healthy food preparation and ensure your child’s lunchbox is clean and safe.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after preparing food.
- Maintain good kitchen hygiene – make sure your cooking surfaces, utensils and storage containers are clean before preparation begins and clean them with hot, soapy water afterwards.
- Try to use separate cutting boards: one for meat, one for fish and another for fruits, vegetables and bread.
- Wash vegetables and fruit thoroughly with cold, running water.
- Make sure all foods are cooked well and thoroughly.
- Never wash chicken as this can contaminate water supplies as well as the kitchen sink.
- Refrigerate all freshly cooked food within 2 hours; any longer allows bacteria growth.
- Keep cold foods cold and hot foods hot until it’s time to eat them. Our Food Flask can help keep your child’s food cool or hot for up to six hours.
- Do not place lunches in warm places such as radiators or direct sunlight. A cool, dark place like a school locker is ideal.
Transporting Hot and Cold Food
A food flask is perfect for storing your child’s lunch. Whether they are off to school or just going out and about, they are great for transporting anything from hot soups to pasta.
They can also help keep your child’s food safer because:
- They are perfectly insulated which helps retain food temperature.
- It keeps food hot or cold for to 6 hours, so your kids can enjoy a cold smoothie on a warm day or a hot soup on a cold day.
Parents and teachers alike love our flask and appreciate seeing my girls getting healthy, varied lunches. Now your little ones can too! Help your kids be more adventurous with food and send them off with their Mummy Cooks Food Flask.
For guidelines on preparing baby food, read our blog Preparation and Storage of Baby Food.