Nothing beats the flavour of fresh peppers that have been roasted in the oven and they really enhance the flavour of bolognese sauce. Packed with vegetables, my turkey bolognese recipe is a lighter twist on the Italian classic by using minced turkey instead of minced beef and it is every bit as hearty, nutritious and tasty!
It's a delicious and easy recipe to get baby to join in on family mealtimes by getting them to pick up sauce covered pasta chunks for a hands on weaning experience. It also makes for a great school lunch, simply reheat in the morning and serve over freshly made pasta in your child's food flask.
As this recipe is freezer friendly, it is perfect for batch cooking and freezing portions in portion pots for future use.
Makes: 8 Adult portions
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
400g roasted red peppers
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
450g minced turkey
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and then cook the onion, celery and carrot for about 5 minutes until they have softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, place the roasted red bell peppers and tin of tomatoes in a blender or food processor and purée until creamy. Set aside.
- Stir in the meat, breaking it up with a spoon and sauté for 5 minutes before adding in the blended peppers and tomatoes purée. Add in the herbs. Holding back on the salt if preparing for baby.
- Cover and cook over low to medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of pasta.
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Store any leftover turkey bolognese in your Mummy Cooks Portion Pots and freeze for future use.