It is important to introduce fish to your weaning baby early on to allow them to develop a taste for it*. This Salmon and Sweet Potato recipe is great to introduce stronger tasting fish to your little one as it can be served as a purée or mashed to dip with finger foods. Offer the boiled sweet potato (unblitzed) or whole pasta pieces, for a baby led weaning meal your little one will love!
*We recommend that you start on mild fish such as cod before trying out salmon as the stronger flavour may be rejected.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 x 90ml / 3oz
350ml low salt vegetable stock
150g frozen peas
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 salmon fillets
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the stock. Bring to the boil, then add the vegetables.
- Lower the heat to a simmer for 15-20 minutes. Once the sweet potatoes have begun to soften, add the salmon to the saucepan.
- Cover and allow the salmon to poach for about 8-10 minutes. Remove the salmon and flake into a large bowl, ensuring there are no small bones.
- Put the vegetables into a blender and blend.
- Portion the vegetables into your pots and add the fish on top. Alternatively, you can blend the salmon if your baby is not used to texture.
- Freeze extra portions for future use.
Weaning and Storage
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.