Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Tikka is definitely the most requested meal in our house. This slow cooker version is family friendly and it makes the perfect fake-away meal, not only that but it is so easy to prepare. For your weaning baby simply remove the sugar and chilli (if you feel baby won’t accept it).
2 limes, juiced
1 tsp paprika
6 skinless boneless chicken thighs, cubed
2 shallots, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 green chilli de-seeded and finely chopped
125g plain Greek-style yogurt
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp ground coriander
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp vegetable oil
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp tomato purée
Handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
½ tsp caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
120ml single cream
- In a bowl add the lime juice and paprika to the chicken, coat and set aside.
- Put the shallot, garlic and half of the ginger and chilli into a food processor.
- Remove and add the mixture to the chicken and mix in yogurt and spices making sure to coat evenly. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge if time permits. If not, cook immediately.
- In a large pan or the slow cooker insert add the oil and start to brown the chicken for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- In the food processor add the tomatoes, purée, remaining ginger, sugar and some of the coriander leaves and blend.
- Poor the mixture into the chicken add the butter and cook in your slow cooker on low for 4-5 hours or 2-3 hours on high.
- Sir through the cream and cook for 10 minutes at the end. Serve with rice or naan bread and top with remaining coriander leaves
Adapt for baby:
Adding more Texture: (6 ½ plus)
- Add the mixture to the food processor and blend to your desired consistency. Add water to loosen.
- Using the pulse mode on the food processor, pulse to get the desired texture. If the meat is still to chunky shred it with a fork.