Here is a quick and delicious healthy muffin recipe; the perfect snack that the kids will love! Muffins are a family favourite in my house and I'm always looking for ways to make them without adding sugar. This recipe is completely sugar free and perfect for babies as it's naturally sweetened with bananas and apple purée. Serve it up as a yummy snack or a quick breakfast on the go! Why not make a big batch and freeze in our Family Portion Set to have some to hand.
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
Makes: 4 Adult Portions
2 large red apples, peeled and cubed
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
250 plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt (omit for baby)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- Place the apples in a saucepan with a tablespoon of water. Cook on a medium heat until the apples soften. Transfer the apples to a food processor and blend to form a purée.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and stir well.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together mashed banana, applesauce, oil, egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into the muffin tray and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
- Leave on a wire rack to cool and serve.
- Store in a Portion pot in the freezer for up to 3 to 4 months.
6 months+ - Introduce as a finger food for baby to pick up and self feed.