Yesterday we had the opportunity to appear on the Today Show as part of their Hot and Healthy School Lunches segment this week. It was a fantastic day and great fun to do some cooking down in RTE Cork! Best of all the delicious pasta sauce with hidden veg Siobhan served up went down a treat with Daithai and Maura!!
Better again, they absolutely loved our all new Mummy Cooks Food Flask! Offering hot food to your child during the school day is a fantastic way of making sure they are getting all of the key nutrients they need in order to stay focused throughout the week. It could not be easier with our tasty, simple recipes perfect to bring along in the handy flask for an exciting school lunch your kids will love you for.
Pasta and Chicken with a Hidden Vegetable Sauce:
½ red pepper
2 stalks of celery
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
½ tbsp oregano
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
Cooked Chicken to serve
1. Begin by roughly chopping all of the vegetables into equal sized chunks, this will help them to cook evenly and together.
2. Heat a large pan with olive oil and sauté the onions and the garlic until soft.
3. Add in the rest of the vegetables with the oregano and cook for a few minutes until they start to get a bit of colour.
4. Next add the chopped tomatoes and bring the mixture to the boil, reduce to a simmer and for 35-40 minutes with the lid on.
5. Once the vegetables are fully cooked and the sauce has thickened, add the contents of the pan to your blender. Blend until smooth.
6. Serve with some freshly cooked pasta, precooked chicken, a sprinkle of grated cheese and enjoy!
Not only does this make for a delicious lunchbox filler it is also great as a mid week dinner for the entire family to enjoy!
Check out the full video below!
Mummy Cooks Top Tip:
Once you have finished your sauce, divide up into 7-8 Month Weaning Pots for a school going child to freeze. On the morning before school, simply defrost the sauce and transfer to your Mummy Cooks Food Flask!
For more information on how to make sure your little ones are eating right during the school week check out our advice here.