Introducing finger food as early as 6 months gives your baby plenty of time to practice the pincer grasp – picking up objects with the thumb and forefinger.
The following recipe is an ideal first finger food for your weaning tot and is very simple to prepare.
Cook time: 40 minutes
Makes: 8 Finger Food
1 sweet potato
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Wash and pierce the sweet potato with a knife a few times.
- On a roasting tray, bake the sweet potato in its skin, until tender. It usually takes about 40 minutes, depending on the size.
- Leave to cool. Carefully remove the skin.
- Cut into finger size pieces,then sprinkle with cinnamon.
- For a baby starting off with finger food, place a finger size piece in the palm of their hand. For a baby who has grasped the pincer grasp, chop into bite size pieces and allow your child to pick up and self-feed.
Weaning and Storage
6 months+ - Introduce as a finger food for baby to pick up and self feed.