Lasagne is a firm favourite in our house and the girls love this fish version also. It's so simple to prepare and makes the perfect midweek meal. Prepare in mini ramekins for your baby’s portion. Freeze before baking and cook from frozen adding about 5 -10 minutes onto the cooking time.
Makes: 4 Adult PortionsIngredients
700g fish pie mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock etc)
250g oven ready lasagne sheets
100g plain flour
100g low salt butter
600ml full fat milk
1 onion, halved
Sprig of thyme
Salt & Pepper (omit salt for baby)
50g Parmesan cheese, grated
100g crème fraiche
1 ball of mozzarella, thinly sliced
Handful fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Place your fish into a steamer basket and cook for about 6-8 minutes or until the fish is done. Set aside to cool.
- To make your sauce place your milk in a saucepan, along with the onion and thyme. Bring to the boil, simmer for 4-5 minutes, remove from the heat, and let it infuse while you make the Roux.
- To make your Roux melt the butter, add the flour, combine, and cook for 2 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking all the time to avoid lumps. At this point you can season with salt and pepper (omit salt for baby).
- Add your steamed fish making sure to check for bones into the sauce and fold through gently.
- In an ovenproof dish or mini ramekins, place a layer of the fish and sauce followed by the lasagne sheets - breaking as needed to fit. Layer again with fish and sauce.
- Continue assembling until the last layer is done. Top with your creme fraiche, mozzarella and basil leaves.
- Bake it in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve with your choice of vegetables
Flake the fish and chop the pasta up into small pieces. Offer on a spoon.
Chop into large chunks allowing your baby to self-feed