Cold lunches especially in the warmer summer months are a great option for kids. Here are some ideas that are easy to prepare and can be packed for school or picnics:
- Sandwich kebabs; mozzarella, chorizo, peppers and cherry tomatoes. Place ingredients on a stick and serve with a dip.
- Chicken and cheese on whole-grain bread; Save some roast chicken from you mid-week dinners.
- Veggie tortilla roll-ups; cheese, sour cream, pepper and carrot (grated). Include your child's favourite vegetable.
- Mozzarella pesto melt; using a dry pan toast the bread and melt the cheese. Yummy!
- Roasted red pepper and sweetcorn pasta salad; the trick to getting children to eating salads is to start by giving them vegetables that they already like then gradually introduce new vegetables.
- Tomato and chickpea pasta salad; cherry tomatoes, chickpeas and cheese.
- Cucumber, tomato and basil pasta salad. Make your own dressing using vinegar, olive oil and garlic.
Quinoa mixed with diced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, black beans, and a lemon-tahini dressing.
Greek Yogurt Parfait:
Layer Greek yogurt with granola and fresh fruits like berries, mango, or sliced banana.
- Roll tortillas with cream cheese, ham or turkey, and lettuce, then slice into bite-sized pinwheels.
- Smoked salmon & cream cheese. They're perfect size for little fingers!
Veggie Sticks with Dip:
Pack carrot sticks, celery sticks, and sliced bell peppers with a side of hummus.
Thread grapes, melon cubes, and strawberries on skewers for a fun and colourful snack.
Cheese and Crackers:
Offer a variety of cheese slices or cheese cubes along with whole-grain crackers.
Make simple sushi rolls using cucumber, avocado, and cooked crab sticks or smoked salmon.
Cold Pasta with Pesto:
Toss cold cooked pasta with pesto sauce and add cherry tomatoes and black olives for extra flavour.
Mix canned tuna with light mayo, diced celery, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with whole-grain crackers or as a sandwich.
Find all of these recipes and more in my Lunchbox Made Easy recipe book. Packed full of inspiration and ideas for nutritious, tasty lunches for all the family.
At Mummy Cooks, we have a wealth of advice on feeding your family. We cover everything from meal prep and slow cooker recipes to moving baby on to family foods and preparing food safely. So whether you're looking for quick and easy meal ideas or want to learn more about healthy eating, we've got you covered - Feeding the Family Advice page