This orzo recipe is a healthy and nutritious family meal that is also suitable as a baby food recipe for your weaning tot. Make sure to make extra so you can double it up as a lunchbox filler. Simple and tasty, your kids are bound to love this orzo pasta. Make it now for a quick lunch or dinner any day of the week!
Cook time: 25 minutes
Makes: 5 Adult portions
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 clove of garlic, minced
500g orzo pasta
500ml low salt vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste (omit salt for baby)
250g frozen peas
100g Parmesan cheese, grated
- Over a medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and stir continuously for about 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic and orzo pasta then continue stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid has been absorbed into the pasta.
- Stir in the peas and Parmesan. Cook until the Parmesan is melted and peas are heated through.
- When your weaning baby is ready to accept texture, orzo pasta is the perfect option.
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.