Try to include 2 portions of oily fish a week such as salmon into your child's diet - they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which is vital for brain health.
In our house we love serving this up in mini ramekins dishes so the kids can have their own portions. Make this fish pie recipe and I guarantee your little ones will enjoy them!
Cook time: 35 minutes
Makes: 6 Adult Portions
½ onion, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Mash and set aside.
- In a large saucepan bring the milk, onion, peppercorns and bay leaf to the boil, before reducing to a simmer. Add the fish and gently cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside. Discard the bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Melt the butter in an other saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in the flour to form a thick paste.
- Stir the milk and onion mixture into the saucepan. Simmer until thickened.
- Flake the fish into the sauce. Make sure to remove any bones. Add in the sweetcorn and peas.
- Spoon the fish mixture into mini ramekin dishes. Top with mash potato then cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- For a baby not able for texture, blend the fish mixture and serve with mashed potato.
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.