These salt free alternatives to shop bought biscuits are great for teething babies or as a finger food. Simply add a dip for a delicious baby led weaning snack - your little ones will love it!
Cook time: 12-15 minutes
Makes: 12 oatcakes
600g rolled oats
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp white vegetable shortening*
*We used Cookeen refined vegetable fat that's available in your local supermarket.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place oats in a food processor and blend until they resemble a coarse flour.
- Add in your baking soda and blend until combined.
- Place the shortening in a saucepan with the water. Gently heat until the shortening melts.
- Add enough of the liquid to the oatmeal mixture to make a firm dough.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper. Roll out the dough until it is approx 1/8 inch thick.
- Use a round cutter to cut out circles. Place the oatcakes onto the baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Weaning and Storage
6 months+ - Introduce as a finger food for baby to pick up and self feed. Use dips such as Peach, Basil and Ginger Puree to increase variety.