The American classic! Jessica has been asking for homemade sloppy joes for a while now. They are definitely inspired by the shows she is watching on Netflix.
The recipe is similar to the meat in shepherd's pie however it does contain sugar and salt so I wouldn’t offer it to a baby unless you left it out. Eating with a bun was strange yet satisfying. Jessica gave them the thumbs up.
Portions: 4 Adults
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
500g quality minced beef
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
150g low salt & sugar ketchup
1 tbsp brown sugar
¾ tsp chili powder
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
- Heat the olive oil and butter in your largest pan. Add the beef and start to brown, breaking the meat up as it cooks. Remove the meat from the pan to cook the vegetables.
- Add the onion and pepper to the pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the beef back to the pan and your tomato paste. Stir well and continue cooking.
- Next add in the ketchup, water, sugar if using, chilli powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine
- Cook over a medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Serve in a toasted bun with your choice of vegetables.
Your meat can be frozen for future use and stored in your portion sizes. Remember to go down a size when freezing just the meat.