This is a great baby food recipe for your weaning tot. It's also perfect for baby led weaning; serve as a dip for finger foods such as chopped vegetables. Turnip has a strong flavour, which makes it a good food because it introduces babies to strong flavors from an early age. Adding the apples helps to tone down the strong flavours as well as adding a little sweetness.
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Makes: 8-10 portions
1 small turnip
- Wash, peel and chop the turnip.
- Place in a steamer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until partially tender.
- Meanwhile, peel, core, and chop the apples.
- Add apples to the steamer and steam with the turnip for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Puree or mash and add some boiled water if not runny enough.
- Store in your weaning pots and use within one month.
Weaning and Storage
4-6 months – Blended to Runny Puree
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.