Cold lunches especially in the warmer summer months are a great option for kids. Here are some ideas that are easy to prepare and can be packed for school or picnics:
- Sandwich kebabs; mozzarella, chorizo, peppers and cherry tomatoes. Place ingredients on a stick and serve with a dip.
- Chicken and cheese on whole-grain bread; Save some roast chicken from you mid-week dinners.
- Veggie tortilla roll-ups; cheese, sour cream, pepper and carrot (grated). Include your child's favourite vegetable.
- Mozzarella pesto melt; using a dry pan toast the bread and melt the cheese. Yummy!
- Roasted red pepper and sweetcorn pasta salad; the trick to getting children to eating salads is to start by giving them vegetables that they already like then gradually introduce new vegetables.
- Tomato and chickpea pasta salad; cherry tomatoes, chickpeas and cheese.
- Cucumber, tomato and basil pasta salad. Make your own dressing using vinegar, olive oil and garlic.
Quinoa mixed with diced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, black beans, and a lemon-tahini dressing.
Greek Yogurt Parfait:
Layer Greek yogurt with granola and fresh fruits like berries, mango, or sliced banana.
- Roll tortillas with cream cheese, ham or turkey, and lettuce, then slice into bite-sized pinwheels.
- Smoked salmon & cream cheese. They're perfect size for little fingers!
Veggie Sticks with Dip:
Pack carrot sticks, celery sticks, and sliced bell peppers with a side of hummus.
Thread grapes, melon cubes, and strawberries on skewers for a fun and colourful snack.
Cheese and Crackers:
Offer a variety of cheese slices or cheese cubes along with whole-grain crackers.
Make simple sushi rolls using cucumber, avocado, and cooked crab sticks or smoked salmon.
Cold Pasta with Pesto:
Toss cold cooked pasta with pesto sauce and add cherry tomatoes and black olives for extra flavour.
Mix canned tuna with light mayo, diced celery, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with whole-grain crackers or as a sandwich.
Find all of these recipes and more in my Lunchbox Made Easy recipe book. Packed full of inspiration and ideas for nutritious, tasty lunches for all the family.