Shepherd's pie is an absolute classic comfort meal the whole family can enjoy. This baby-friendly recipe is easy to follow and can be doubled up to be frozen.
Reheat leftovers in the morning to send in a hot school lunch for your children in our Food Flasks.
Tip: You can easily transform this Shepherd's Pie recipe into a Cottage Pie by swapping the minced lamb for minced beef.
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Portions: 4 x Adult
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
500g quality minced lamb
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp tomato purée
300ml low salt vegetable stock
Small handful of fresh thyme
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 parsnips, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp butter
Small handful of Cheddar, grated
1-2 tbsp full fat milk
Large handful of frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Soften the onion and carrots for a few minutes. Turn up the heat. Add the lamb and brown.
- Mix in the cinnamon and tomato purée then fry fro a few minutes. Add the stock and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C. Steam the potatoes and parsnips for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Mash them together. Mix in the butter, cheese and milk.
- Stir the peas into the mince. Portion out into oven-proof dishes. Pipe on the mash and top with a few more peas.
- For immediate use, bake the pies for 20-25 minutes, until the top starts to brown and the mince bubbles through at the edges. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving. To keep the pies for a later date, chill and freeze them.
- For a baby not able for texture, blend the meat with the vegetables, and add the mashed potato before serving.
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.