Quick and easy, this delicious, hearty Ratatouille is perfect for those long days! Suitable for the whole family, this makes a great baby led weaning meal. Just puree or finely chop your baby's portion and offer some whole pasta for dipping. If your lot is like mine, they will love it! Portion for your weaning baby with our Starter Weaning Set of pots suitable from 4-12 months.
Cook time: 50-55 minutes
Makes: 4-6 Adult portions
2 tbsp olive oil
2 aubergines, cubed
3 courgettes, cubed
3 peppers, cubed
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 red onions, finely chopped
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
Handful of basil, chopped
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper (omit salt for baby)
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the aubergines, courgettes, and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil. Add the garlic, onions and chopped thyme. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until softened and golden.
- Return the vegetables to the pan, then stir in the basil and tomatoes. Add the balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Simmer over a low heat for 30-35 minutes, stirring from time to time
- For a baby not able for texture, blend the ratatouille to the desired consistency. To serve as a finger food, offer as it is and let your baby self-feed.
*Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes prior to freezing or placing in the fridge. Cool in the fridge for 2 hours before freezing.
Weaning and Storage
4-6 months – Blended to Runny Puree
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.