Our tasty homemade vegetarian sausage roll recipe is a great alternative finger food for your weaning baby that the whole family will love! Packed full of delicious chickpeas and veggies, this healthy treat is perfect for little fingers, ideal for lunchboxes and makes a healthy snack on the go. Batch cook and store using the Baby Led Weaning Set for a quick and easy baby led weaning finger food any day of the week.
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Makes: 4-5 Adult portions
400g tin chickpeas, drained
1 courgette, grated
1 carrot, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
½ onion, roughly chopped
1 tbsp Oregano
1 Pack puff pastry
1 egg , beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Remove the pastry from the freezer and set on the counter top to soften.
- Add the chickpeas, grated veg, onion, oregano and garlic to a food processor. Blend for 30-40 seconds.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cover. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- Roll out the pastry and cut it in half length ways to form two long strips.
- Spoon the filling evenly down the middle of each pastry strip.
- Fold the pastry over the filling and seal with your hands or a fork. Brush with egg and cut each roll in 8 pieces.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until crispy, golden and thoroughly cooked. Allow to cool before serving.
- Offer to your baby as a finger food to self-feed. you can place it in their hand, or chop into bite size pieces.
Weaning and Storage
6 months+ - Introduce as a finger food for baby to pick up and self feed. Add dips such as our Tomato Sauce to increase variety.