I love how quick and easy these St. Patrick’s Day Chocolate Chip Cookies are to make and they are the perfect, yummy treat to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with! These choc chip cookies also make great lunchbox fillers and on-the-go snacks - you can freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
You can use store-bought green food dye, but making your own homemade green food dye is so easy and it ensures that your cookies have no artificial colours, preservatives or flavours in them!
Note: Not suitable for baby due to sugar content.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 16 x Cookies
Homemade Green Food Dye Ingredients
- In a small saucepan over a medium heat, add your spinach and enough water to cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and discard the cooking liquid.
- Add the spinach to a blender and add 3 tbsp of water and blend on high. Add more water 1 tbsp at a time if needed.
- Strain and allow to cool
1 ½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
125g unsalted butter, softened
50g (¼ cup) brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
200g (1 cup) milk chocolate chips
2 tbsp homemade green food dye
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Place butter and brown sugar in a bowl and whisk until fully combined into a thick mixture.
- Add vanilla extract and egg and whisk until combined. Then stir in flour, homemade green food dye and chocolate chips. Add more food dye to increase green colour, if needed.
- Use a tablespoon to spoon batter onto lined baking tray, spaced 5cm apart. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Leave on baking tray to cool before serving.