This is a great family meal that provides lots of healthy ingredients and delicious Mexican flavours. I like to have this prepped a head of time for a quick delicious meal. This recipe is from my Freezer Meal e-book packed full of advice on how to get the most out of your freezer. From top tips on freezing food, how to do it safely and over 30 recipes for you to batch cook and freeze them.
Makes: 8 x Enchiladas
Cook Time: 50-55 Minutes
Allergen's: Gluten & Dairy
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 boneless chicken breasts
400g (14 oz) tin kidney beans
400g (14 oz) tin diced tomatoes
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
Salt* and pepper, to taste
8 tortilla wraps
150g (1 ½ cups) Cheddar, grated
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) and line a shallow baking dish with baking paper.
- In a large frying pan, heat half the olive oil and add the chicken. Cook for 8-10 minutes each side, or until the chicken is cooked through, and then set aside to cool.
- Once chicken is cooled, shred it by either using a fork or stand mixer.
- In the same frying pan, add the remaining olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until onion is softened.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, coriander and salt and pepper, if using and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add in the shredded chicken and stir to combine.
- To make the enchiladas, spread a few spoonfuls of the chicken and bean mixture onto each tortilla and wrap it up tightly.
- Place each enchilada into the baking dish. Top all enchiladas with a sprinkle of Cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Wrap each enchilada in tin foil before storing in the freezer.
Take the enchilada out of the tin foil and heat in the oven for 10 minutes or until completely warmed through. Let cool before serving.
For Baby 6 months+
Mash or blend the chicken and bean mixture into a puree for baby or cut the enchilada into small pieces and let baby self-feed.
For more tasty freezer-friendly meals, check out our Freezer Meals E-Book