This creamy chicken and vegetable pie recipe is the perfect healthy, hearty option for the family! Serve with a side of steamed vegetables or enjoy it by itself - this dish offers plenty of nutrients all on its own. It’s also a great option for batch cooking as you can freeze the filling and complete with the pastry at a later time!
For baby: 6 months+
Leave out salt and adapt the texture of the chicken and vegetable filling to suit your baby's weaning stage. For information on texture and portioning, sign up to our club to get a FREE portion guide.
4 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
3 carrot, chopped
3 potatoes, cubed
Salt and pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
600ml low salt chicken stock
50g unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
50g plain flour
300ml full-fat milk
Juice of 1 lemon
2 sheets shortcrust pastry
1 egg, whisked
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the chicken, carrots, potatoes and stock in a large pan. Season with salt and pepper, if using, and add in dried thyme. Stir well, then bring to the boil and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are nice and tender.
- In another large pan, melt the butter and add the onion. Cook until softened. Add the flour to the pan and continue to stir forming a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring constantly. Add in the lemon juice. Once the sauce has thickened, remove it from the heat.
- Stir this sauce into the chicken mixture. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Use your individual pie dishes as a guide to cut circles of pastry to cover your pies. Cut a small cross in the middle of each top to allow steam to escape. Divide the filling across your pie dishes and then top with the pastry lids.
- Brush the top of the pies with egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.