This easy and healthy Beef and Lentil Ragu is the perfect hearty recipe for the family that’s full of protein and fibre. It’s a great meal to batch cook and have on hand for busier days. I use this ragu to alternate with bolognese so that we can have variety each week.
In this ragu, I have included half meat and half lentils - even if your child isn’t a fan of lentils, I promise they won’t notice the difference! Use this ragu as a base for lasagne or simply serve with pasta or rice.
Tip: You can use your food processor or our Baby Food Chopper to chop the vegetables and cut down on prep time!
Makes: 4 x Adult Portions
Cook time: 1 hour
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 carrots, finely chopped
1 butternut squash, deseeded and finely chopped
4 tbsp oregano
450g (16 oz) quality minced beef
450g (2 ⅓ cups) red lentils, rinsed
680g (24 oz) tomato passata
2 x 400g (14 oz) tins chopped tomatoes
4 tbsp tomato purée
600ml (20 fl oz) low salt beef stock
2 bay leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the chopped vegetables and oregano and sauté for about 7 minutes.
- Add the mince and cook until the mince is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Next add the passata, lentils, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, stock and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, mix through, reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Add more stock if needed to reach your desired consistency. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Serve straight away with pasta of your choice or portion and freeze in our portion pots and save for a rainy day!
6 Months+ - Chunky Puree: Blend the beef and lentil ragu sauce and offer to baby as a puree.
6 Months+ - Finger Food: Add to pasta shapes like fusilli and offer to baby as finger food.