This salmon chowder is perfect to introduce your weaning baby to fish. Ideal for the whole family, this recipe makes a great baby led weaning meal offered with some toast slices for dipping.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 Portions
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 small clove garlic, crushed
200ml vegetable stock
80g crème fresh
100g of cooked ham
2 boneless fillets of salmon, cut into chunks
1 tin of sweetcorn
1 tbsp Olive oil
Optional: small pinch of saffron
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and drizzle with oil.
- Add the onion and leek. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, garlic, sweetcorn, saffron and stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sweet potato is soft.
- Place in a blender and blitz to the desired consistency.
- Transfer the mixture back to the pot and bring to the boil again.
- Add the salmon. Lower heat and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the salmon is cooked through.
- Stir in the crème fraise and cooked ham right before serving.
Weaning and Storage
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.