Delicious with just the right amount of sweetness, this is a great baby food recipe for your weaning tot. Papaya is easy to prepare and mash because of its high water content, and adding apples makes it even more tasty and perfect not only for baby but for the entire family too. Serve it as an alternative breakfast or as a nutritious desert; either way your baby will love it.
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 adult potions
100g brown rice
1 ripe papaya
1 red apple
- Place rice in a saucepan and add enough water to cover the rice.
- Bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- Purée the rice with a little water until you reach a thick soupy consistency.
- Peel, core and slice your apple.
- Cook it in a little water until tender, then purée in a food processor.
- To prepare the papaya, halve then scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Scoop out the orange flesh and mash or purée.
- Combine the cooked rice and fruit purées, adding a little more water if needed.
Weaning and Storage
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.