This Greek dish is traditionally made with either aubergines or potatoes; in this moussaka recipe, we used potatoes.
Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins
Makes: 4 Adult portions
2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Cook the onions, carrots and garlic until they brown. Stir in the herbs and cinnamon.
- Add the minced lamb and brown for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and stock. Bring to the boil before reducing to a simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan. Brown the potatoes in batches, for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- For the topping, melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Allow to cool slightly before beating in the egg.
- Line a casserole dish with half of the potatoes. Layer on the mince mixture and top with the remaining potatoes.
- Pour the cheese sauce on top. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until it is fully cooked and the top is golden-brown.
- For a baby not able for texture, blend the sauce and serve with mashed potato.
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.