This homemade tomato sauce is so easy to do. Child friendly and ideal for your weaning tot, it makes a great baby led weaning meal as a dip for finger foods such as a large pasta shape. It is the perfect sauce to stir through pasta for a warm school lunch in your child's food flask. With no added salt or sugar, this tomato sauce recipe is extremely versatile and ideal for batch cooking. It is perfect on meatballs, pasta, pizzas and more!
Try it with our Mummy Cooks Meatballs for a tasty family meal!
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 Adult portions
4 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
Handful of basil, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add in the garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add in the chopped tomatoes.
- Bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the basil and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Place the sauce in a blender or food processor and blend to your desired consistency.
- Serve with pasta or portion and freeze for future use.
Weaning and Storage
6-7 months - Smooth and slightly thicker puree, no lumps
7-8 months - Thicker puree with increased texture
8-9 months - Minced and mashed with soft lumps.
9-12 months – Minced and finely chopped.
Our award winning Starter Weaning Set set has all the pots you need to batch cook, portion and safely store food for your weaning baby.